Civic Engagement Project and Senses of Cinema

Posted by adamlep | Posted in , , | Posted on 1:49 PM

I am currently writing notes and gathering information for BA's Civic Engagement Project. I've already asked my "politically savvy" friend Ethan to participate. He's the perfect candidate. Smart (VERY smart), incredibly witty, distinguished, and tall. Please let me know if you have any NJ student friends who are willing to participate in “Health Care: A Civic Engagement Project." I'm also using a few articles to generate better questions to ask, including “How Breasts (and Health Care) Swung a Governor's Race” by John R. Bohrer and ">“Mammograms and the New Jersey Governor's Race” by Merrill Matthews. Maybe I should have specified breast cancer as part of this project?

Also, I have been looking in an interesting film journal called Senses of Cinema (link to the left of the blog) and some of their Top Ten Lists. Two years ago, Senses of Cinema compiled a very extensive list of the Top Ten films of film students, writers, and other notables from around the world. The last tally taken was based on over 500 lists. Hitchcock's Vertigo was ranked #1 by appearing on 104 lists. #2 was Citizen Kane, appearing on 63 lists and #3 was 2001: A Space Odyssey, appearing on 61 lists. You can see the whole list here. I find this list to be very interesting because (with the exception of Citizen Kane) I have never seen any of these films on any other Top Tens. For example, IMDB's top 250 has Star Wars and The Dark Night in their Top Ten. AFI only included American movies in their "100 Years, 100 Movies" list. The Godfather and Casablanca were included on that list, but not in Sense of Cinema's list at all. Of course any Top Ten list will vary based on whose voting, but usually broad lists like "Best Films of All Time" has reoccurring tends. I think the fact that film students were targeted in SOCs compilation made it different. Vertigo won by a landslide in that list but it didn't even crack the top ten in AFI's list (those voters, by the way, are described as "a blue-ribbon panel of leaders from across the film community.") In fact, not a single Hitchcock movie is on AFI's 10 or IMDB's 10. Ironically, Alfred Hitchcock was the most voted for director in SOC's list. As a film student, I will examine the SOC 10 closely, as I am attracted to its unique nature. Plus, of the 10 films of their list, I've only seen 3!

-Adam

Comments (0)

Post a Comment