Hitchcock: A Continuation

Posted by adamlep | Posted in , , | Posted on 10:36 AM

In my last post, I wrote a bit about the connection between film students and Alfred Hitchcock based on the finding in a Senses of Cinema survey. Interestingly enough, I was browsing through Filmmaker Magazine's site (link to the left) and found an article titled "Giving Away North by Northwest." This was the first sentence of the article:

"Ask me my favorite Hitchcock film and I'll shoot you back the obvious answer: Vertigo, the director's cinematic and fetishistic embodiment of romantic obsession." - Scott Macaulay, editor of filmmaker magazine

It is very nice to see parallels between the links posted to BA's blog. It shows that us "film-types" have something in common. And its not just Hitchcock and Vertigo. Filmmakers think alike, are attracted to similar aesthetics beauties, and love to discuss favorites. Although I wouldn't put Vertigo into my Top 10, I can liken it to a film that is based on aesthetics. Christopher Nolan's masterpiece Memento is one of my favorite films, but I'm sure it wouldn't exist without Vertigo. Macaulay writes that Vertigo inspired the erotic thriller craze of the 1990s. Although by today’s standards it probably wouldn't seem erotic, it was a pretty big deal in 1958. Over 40 years later, Memento is released. An injured protagonist fights through his ailment to solve a very personal mystery...Sounds familiar...but not only that, both films are framed similarly. The shots are disorienting and dark; they heighten suspense and terror. That being said, I think I can assert that filmmakers and students particularly like suspense over many emotions. It's really primal and looks fantastic on film when done correctly. 

"Film your murders like love scenes, and film your love scenes like murders."- Alfred Hitchcock 


Comments (0)

Post a Comment