Liz Henry Response

Posted by adamlep | Posted in , | Posted on 10:48 AM

The following is Adam Lepkowski's response to a Skype chat with Liz Henry:

I thought one of the most interesting points that was dicussed by Ms. Henry was her using a car as an analogy for intellectual property. She said when you buy a car, you are allowed to open up the hood, look inside and see how it works. Unfortionately, most softwares and hardwares deny their user "under the hood" access, and thus, the user cannot see how it works without breaking in illegally. I like this analogy because I've been in situations where I couldn't get passed certain blocks on software and the only way I could fix them was by paying a professional. Her "making bread" analogy was good too. Maybe some of us do want to make our own software or hardware. Maybe we shouldn't need to pay someone to show us or do it for us. Why can't we just take a look under the hood? I do understand that certain copyrights need to be protected and that I can't just take everything from under the hood and call it my own, but I still think that one look wouldn't hurt anyone.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment